Tuesday, October 20, 2015

The Poudre is awesome!!!

My dad and I headed up the canyon this morning hoping to hit some nice browns. We stopped off mid canyon on the way up, and ended up with a few stocker bows up to about 13in, most on a #6 hothead olive bugger. We then headed up the rest of the way to our final destination. I whacked about a 13in brown right of the bat on a big articulated streamer in some deeper water. 

I broke off a nice fish about a half hour later, and thought that was it for the day. Well I was thoroughly mistaken. I threw past a bigger fish sitting in the current, and to my surprise, he turned and smacked it! The fish was about 22-23in, and ate a big articulated streamer. 


About 10 mins later, something that looked like a sucker pulled up on the gravel bar. I drifted a midge over him a few times and he finally ate it. This led to surprise number 2 of the day, a 17in whitefish! Not only what it my first whitey, but it came out of the Poudre too! 

I got one more small fish it eat a midge, but that was about it for the day. I'm not going to say where on the river I was, but I will say that it is one of the more popular holes on the river, and it was super rewarding to finally get into some huge Poudre fish! All were released, and I even saw the big one holding behind a rock as I walked out at the end of the day.
Tight lines,
Rob

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Just curious...has there ever been a time when you were certain that you caught the same fish twice, since you catch and release?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have asked the same question. Maybe it is just one fishing on a slow learning curve. :-)

    ReplyDelete