Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Tying classes and tailwaters

Sorry about not posting much recently. I've been on the water a ton, and haven't gotten the chance. Anyways, I recently got the chance to go through a mentorship up at Kirks Fly Shop. My first day heading up to the shop was  Saturday, and it was an awesome time. When I first arrived, Kirk was on a conference call with a local radio show, but hid dad, Gary, was there and we got a loose game plan played out. When Kirk first came out, we talked fishing a little bit, and the conversation quickly went to tying. I grabbed one of my boxes, and handed it to him to check out. he quickly pointed out some bigger rojo midges I had tied for the Delaneys, and said "Lets tie those today. You'll lead the tying class." We went over to the vises, got materials set up for everyone, and started spinning up bugs. as people came, I started the class, and we knocked out a few rojos each. After that, it was onto the more seasonal bug, a midge dry. We went from #12 hooks down to #18s and 20s, and it got interesting. I stuck with the easiest midge dry, the Griffiths gnat. Everyone tied a few each, and after a while, it was time to switch up. The hot fly on the Big T currently is a little midge called the Famous Amous, invented by one of the locals. Well Amous just so happened to be at the class, so we ended the day tying a bunch of them up. After everyone left, we all sat around, talked, and eventually, I headed out. 

Now the Big T has one of the few tailwaters nearby, so I was of course going to take advantage of some open water. However, it sounded like the inlet was open as well, so we hit that first. The fish were spooky, but after some hunting, I spotted a pod of around 16 fish. I sat on these fish all day, and watched as they moved up on a midge hatch. At first they were munching emergers, so I was throwing a #22 bunny midge at the few risers, and pulled 2 bows. But as the hatch got underway, I changed up to a pattern I've been experimenting called the winged midge. The fish were all over it, and I pulled 12 fish on it. as the fish went down, My dad came in and picked up one nymphing, and after that, we left the spot to hit the tailwater. 

The tailwater is pretty dirrereft from most area rivers. Lets clear one thing up real quick; I consider the firs 1/4 mile of river from the dam down to Mall road to be the tailwater. Anything below it is the canyon in my eyes. Anyways, we parked below the dam, and I hooked up real quick on a #20 famous Amous. Unfortunately, he popped off. I worked the tailwater hard, but between people in prime holes, heavy wind, and the fish just not playing, it didn't end up coming together down there. It was still a killer day, and I cant wait to help out up at Kirk's open house this coming Saturday!
Tight lines,
Rob




No comments:

Post a Comment